FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 28, 2014
Clarkston City Hall Annex Receives Historic Preservation Award
Clarkston, Ga. – The Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation presented 24 awards recognizing the best of preservation in Georgia during it’s 37th annual Preservation Awards ceremony in Catersville. The Clarkston City Hall Annex was chosen to receive an award for Excellence in Rehabilitaion. “This year’s winners represent a tremendous dedication to restoring and revitalizing Georgia’s historic buidings and communities,” said Mark C. McDonald, president of the The Georgia Trust. “We are proud to honor such deserving projects and individuals.”
The house, previously owned by longtime Clarkston resident Ms. Mary Morris who passed away in late 2011, was built sometime in the 1850’s. The house was purchased by the City in April of 2012 and renovated to provide additional office space. “The City’s intent with this project was to not only provide adequate space for city administrative functions but also preserve the historic character of the property and building,” states Clarkston City Manager Keith Barker. “The City realized the potential for the structure as an important community landmark and tried to maintain as much of the historical architecture as possible.” The project was completed in June, 2013.
For more than 35 years, the Trust has recognized preservation projects and individuals throughout Georgia who have made significant contributions to the field of historic preservation. Awards are presented on the basis of the contributions of the person or project to the community and/or state and on compliance with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties.
Contact: Keith Barker, City Manager
City of Clarkston