If you’re seeking to apply for a business license, here’s a list of required documents you’ll need:
Additional information can be obtained through the following departments;
- DeKalb County Fire Marshall inspection call (  371-3010 or  371-9256)
- Georgia Sales Tax Number for Retail Sales (  417-4490 or visit their website)
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- Secretary of State
- A signed copy of the ordinance pertaining to residential business operation, if your business will be operated from a residential property (Home Occupations)
Your new business will be reviewed for compliance in reference to the City Code and Zoning Ordinance. The business must pass inspection by the DeKalb County Fire Marshal’s Department.
The following professions shall elect either (a) flat fee or (b) gross receipts as their method of calculating Occupational Tax (according to Section 11-40 of the City Code; practitioners classified in O.C.G.A. 48-13-9(c), paragraphs 1 through 18):
- Physicians (those licensed under Chapter 34 of Title 43)
- Osteopath (those licensed under Chapter 34 of Title 43)
- Landscape Architect
- Land Surveyor
- Practitioner of Physiotherapy
- Public Accountant
- Funeral Director
- Civil, Mechanical, Hydraulic, or Electrical Engineer
- Marriage and Family Therapist, Social Worker, and Professional Counselor
Additional requirements for food service is listed on the checklist.;
A food service business license requires all of the documents listed on the new/renewal business licenses checklist plus any additional requested relevant documentation:
Restaurant or food preparation service must have a permit from the DeKalb County Health Department (for more information, call  294-3700).
Wholesale or retail packaged food sales require certification from the Georgia Department of Agriculture (for more information, call  656-3645).
Information about building and sign permits
You cannot move, add, build, or structurally alter a building or other structure without a City Building Permit. You can find permit applications here or at the City Hall Annex reception desk.
You must contact the (Planning and Development Department) for a letter of permit before starting any interior renovations that require inspection.
If you want to post, display, build or change any sign in the City, you must have a Sign Permit. You can find the Sign Permit application at the City Hall Annex reception desk.
To determine if your business qualifies for City sanitation services, contact the City of Clarkston Public Works Department at 404. 296.6489. If your business does not qualify, you must arrange for service by a commercial sanitation contractor.