GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To support the vision, mission and guiding principles of the City of Clarkston.
- While performing any procedure, all employees and contract personnel must observe applicable Safety, Health, and Environmental rules and guidelines. The use of appropriate personal protective equipment is required.
- Attend and participate in training opportunities and seminars relevant to this position.
- Adhere to appropriate company operating procedures, benefit rules, employment, and safety policies/practices.
- Custodial maintenance at Milam Park/City Buildings, including bathrooms and grounds.
- Removes trash and other debris from City Buildings and grounds, park grounds and parking lots.
- Assist citizens with pavilion reservations and usage.
- Performs daily inspection on maintenance vehicles and equipment used on the job;
- Performs general ground keeping duties i.e. blowing, weed eating. Etc.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in maintenance and repair;
- Knowledge of hazards and safety precautions associated with operation of equipment;
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety standards and practices applicable to work being conducted;
- Knowledge of the material commonly used in construction, maintenance and repair activities as related to assigned areas;
- Knowledge of City and departmental policies and procedures; knowledge of State Motor Vehicles Laws;
- Knowledge of geographical layout of the City;
- Skill in proper operation and basic repair of machinery used in the custodial maintenance, grounds and buildings;
- Skill in operating a variety of hand and power tools;
- Ability to follow established safety rules, departmental policies and procedures;
- Ability to recognize hazardous materials and situations and respond according to training and City policies and procedures;
- Ability to operate equipment and perform duties under a variety of weather conditions;
- Ability to work evenings, nights, weekends and holidays as required;
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions;
Supervisory Controls: This work is performed under the general supervision of the Public Works Director.
Guidelines: Guidelines include city and departmental policies, procedures, applicable ordinances and supervisory instructions. These guidelines are clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
Complexity: The work consists of manual labor and technical duties involving the proper use of a variety of equipment.
Scope and Effect: This position is responsible for the maintenance city grounds, parks, and buildings throughout the City, ensuring a clean and safe environment for all customers and citizens.
Personal Contacts: Contacts are typically with co-workers, and the general public.
Purpose of Contacts: Contacts are typically to give and exchange information, resolve conflicts and provide services.
Physical Demands: This is a labor intensive position, which can require walking, sitting, lifting above 100 lbs, carrying and pulling objects, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, handling objects, speaking, hearing, and seeing.
Work Environment: This work is typically performed indoors and outdoors, near moving mechanical parts, in the presence of toxic or caustic chemicals, under adverse weather conditions, and with the potential risk of electric shock. Work is typically performed in the presence of loud and very loud noise.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility: None.
High School diploma or equivalent; two (2) years of related public works experience: must possess and maintain valid Georgia driver’s license; equivalent combination of education and experience.
Public Works Laborer applications will be accepted until 12-18-2020, or until the position is filled.
Interested applicants must submit the Clarkston General Employment applications and resumes via U.S. Mail or email to:
City of Clarkston
Attn: Tracy Ashby, City Clerk
1055 Rowland Street
Clarkston, GA 30021